Pegboard is a brand name, which is used to describe perforated storage boards. Perforated storage boards are pre-drilled with evenly spaced holes. The holes are used to accept pegs or hooks to support various items, such as merchandise in a retail store and even tools in a workshop.
A Pegboard sheet is usually up to 5mm thick; with 3mm holes perforated 25mm apart. The finishes can vary depending on the retailer’s requirements; wood, cardboard, metal or laminated with different colours.
Pegboard is an innovative and low cost way to display merchandise on previously unused wall space in retail. Pegboards are most often used to display small to medium items.
Pegboard is perfect for factories, offices, retail spaces, workshops, garages, kitchens, tradeshows and more.
Pegboard is made out of a thick sheet in comparison to a metal board so it requires display hooks with a longer pin length.
Metal board is another type of perforated storage board, which is usually thinner and holds different type of display hooks. Though, you can purchase pegboard adaptors for your metal board hooks so they fit peg and volcano boards.
Volcano Board is again another perforated storage board product that is usually made of metal and the holes are concaved. They fit similar hooks than the pegboard.
Slotwall is a different type of board, which does not have holes but instead slats. You can purchase display hooks especially designed for slotwalls but all pegboard and volcano board hooks will fit slotwalls. Only metal boards require a different display hook design.
In summary, Pegboard hooks are the most versatile display hooks on the market:
- Pegboard hooks fit Pegboard, Volcano board and Slotwall and they will also fit metal boards with a pegboard adaptor.
- Metal Board hooks fit metal boards
- Slotwall hooks fit Slotwalls
SI Retail offers a wide range of pegboard / Volcano display hook options, although we do not sell the pegboard itself:
- Pegboard single prong display hooks for a simple and economic display hook
- Pegboard loop display hooks for added stability to display heavy products
- Pegboard flipscan single prong display hooks with a FREE label holder to price your merchandise
- Pegboard flipscan Loop display hooks with a FREE label holder to price your merchandise
While the display hooks for pegboards and metalboards may look almost identical, there is one very big difference. The length of the prong that supports the hook in the board is longer on the pegboard display hook than on the metalboard display hook. The reason for this is that the pegboards are made of a thicker material than the metalboards, so the prongs need to be longer to match the board's thickness.
It is, therefore, imperative to choose the right hooks for the right board, otherwise they won't fit.
Metalboards are not the only boards that are made out of metal. Pegboards can also be made out of metal, which is where the confusion often lies. To avoid choosing the wrong hooks for your board, keep these differences in mind:
- Metalboards are made from a metal sheet about 1mm thick and feature flat âhole-punches'.
- Pegboards are a lot thicker, and the pegboards that are made out of metal have concave holes on one side that spout into convex holes on the other side.
Pegboards go by many different names, including metal pegboards, punch panels, volcano boards and crater boards.